Friday, February 23, 2007

"Monolithic" pop culture references #42

Ever searching for news about Rapa Nui, this blog's administrator comes across many references to Rapa Nui and its famous moai. Often, these references are quite comical and have nothing to do with the island or the culture of Rapa Nui. Other times, they appear to be speculative, based more on misconceptions than reality, or downright bizarre. Here are some of the more recent references:

Vegas.aol.com:
There is Stonehenge in England, I drew a line from Stonehenge to the statues in Easter Island in Chile and another line between the Pyramid of Gaza in Egypt to the Pyramid of the sun in Mexico and those four lines intersect at a specific spot in the ocean and it so happens that is where my islands are.

Boston Globe:
Easter Island has totems. Our Age of Celebrity has Schoeller's portraits.

SI.com:
I don't think I could ever interview Bonds. I would want to ask him questions like "how do you sleep at night?" and "what's it like to be one of the Easter Island guys?" I could never cow tow to him and ask the questions he'll answer. You know, like "how come you're so wonderful?" and "Isn't it nice out today?"

Express: A Publication of the Washington Post:
Melinda Doolittle is the boring backup singer everyone on the planet loves but me. She can sing very well, has a huge face like an Easter Island statue, only less structurally interesting, and bores the living daylights out of me.

No comments: